Quality Engineer, Advanced Hardware Manufacturing
Other Engineering, Quality Assurance
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
The Quality Engineer in Advanced Hardware Manufacturing Operations (AHMO) is expected to lead the development of systems, methodologies, quality processes, and best practices in order to guarantee high-quality products in line with standards, drawings, and specifications set in place by internal Engineering Teams. A successful candidate must have the ability to meet tight deadlines, have strong interpersonal and communication skills, be detail oriented, and be able to work independently. You will be supporting projects developed by cross-functional teams where individual performance is measured by quality results, teamwork, and initiatives. This position will report directly to the Quality Manager.
- Lead Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) and guide teams to create quality documents including detailed Process Flow Diagrams, Process Failure Mode Analysis (PFMEA), Inspection Reports, Dimensional reports, Functional Test Reports (FTR’s), Process Certs, Material Certs, Rework instructions, Temporary Deviation Orders (TDO’s), Packaging Reports, Part Submission Warrants (PSW’s) in various quality databases including Jira, RGBSI, 3DX, and other Internal Quality Logs.
- Play a fundamental role to support the setting up of procedures and instructions and processes that will allow Zoox to align with the international standards for Quality Systems (IATF 16949, ISO 9001, and similar).
- Be the main point of contact between Design Teams and Manufacturing Quality for hardware development (such as Lidar, Radar, Camera, etc.)
- Develop Quality Plan from Design & Specification reviews to serial production
- Work closely with the Test Engineering team to develop the end-of-line test process
- Development of Incoming Quality Control (IQC), In Process Quality Control (IPQC), & Outgoing Quality Control (OQC) requirements and setting metrics for analyzing performance
- Lead root cause analysis activities from prototype, production, and services using 8D,5 Why, and problem-solving methodologies
- Hold MRB(Material Review Board) meetings with key stakeholders in order to determine the disposition of on-hand units in quarantine
- Support process improvement activities
- Track all quality issues and communicate status to all stakeholders
- Responsible for creating and reporting metrics to demonstrate quality status in NPI, manufacturing, and services
- Maintain a high bar of teamwork & cross-functional collaboration
- Demonstrate effective communication and collaboration with all stakeholders.
- BS in mechanical, electrical, or electronics required (Master Electrical Engineering Preferred)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment (automotive, semiconductor, or aerospace fields are preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of QMS and quality control fundamentals
- Ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical drawings
- Background in MRB and NCMR handling along with driving SCARs & CAPAs to resolution
- Experience in standard quality tools required (FMEA, Control Plan, 8D, SPC, etc.)
- Strong planning, organizational, analytical, negotiation, interpersonal, decision-making, oral, and written communication skills
- A strong understanding of general manufacturing assembly processes is required
- Ability to adapt to a fast-changing dynamic environment
- Experience in Lidar / Radar / Sensor / Camera
- Python coding or similar language
- Experience working in a start-up environment and setting a QMS from scratch
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $128,000 to $210,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.