Manager, Prototype Fabrication
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 8, 2023
The Manager, Prototype Fabrication will lead Zoox’s Prototyping fabrication team dedicated to producing the first article, proof of concept hardware, and prototypes to support the company’s design and engineering process.
- Manage all aspects of operating a prototype fabrication shop with various cutting-edge prototyping technologies
- Build and lead a team of craftspeople, with empathy and expertise, including defining and guiding career development for team members
- Work with the Director of Prototyping to develop strategies and roadmaps to guide the prototype fabrication shop and team
- Provide effective prioritization and delegation, working closely with the Director and other leadership, to proactively identify risks and mitigation strategies to de-risk and accelerate goals
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop and manage, from the components production perspective, complex projects which include design, engineering, and final assembly
- Serve as an advocate with strong credibility and influence in the organization, building relationships with cross-functional leaders and prioritizing / appropriately scoping new tasks
- Identify new prototype fabrication technologies to investigate and implement at Zoox
- Develop and manage complex budgets covering all aspects of prototype fabrication including raw material, equipment procurement and maintenance, consumables, and headcount
- Drive an excellent safety culture in partnership with cross-functional teams and safety subject matter experts; you will lead by example in safety operations
- Ensure all equipment in the prototyping shop is appropriately utilized, serviced, and maintained
- Implement and maintain a culture of continuous improvement
- Bachelor's Degree
- 15+ years of experience in prototype fabrication
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of craftspeople
- Deep technical knowledge of metal/plastic fabrication and machining processes
- Proven track record in communication, leadership, business analysis, and process development
- Relevant experience in manufacturing or project management systems and methodologies
- Experience developing processes and methodologies
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $130,000 to $220,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?