Senior Technical Specialist, High Voltage Battery
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2023
As a member of the Powertrain team, you will have the opportunity to come on board at the start of the development of the next generation of mobility vehicles. As the High Voltage Battery Engineer, you will work across all aspects of the HV Battery system regarding mechanical and high voltage, and the integration of the HV Battery into a brand-new vehicle architecture. You will report to the Vehicle Powertrain Engineering Manager within Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering Team.
As a core engineer, you will work to ensure the successful delivery of systems and assemblies, from conception through to the start of production. Crucial to this success will be driving and managing key relationships with Zoox’s supplier network while Zoox maintains a lean and agile cross-functional team in-house. You will use your knowledge to direct the technical effort, your expertise to ground the team, and your excellent communication and interpersonal skills to motivate and lead as we take a new path to redefine a traditional and well-established industry.
In this role, you will:
- Define requirements, and specifications for the HV Battery sub-systems to achieve Vehicle attribute targets towards structure, mass, and performance, manufacturability, and cost targets.
- Manage the complete and sub-system design release of HV Battery components, sub-systems, and detail designs; utilizing supplier engineering.
- Manage the delivery of components within the High Voltage Battery system: battery enclosure, module frames, high voltage bus bars and wiring for the Zoox Vehicle program.
- Lead and coordinate with both supplier teams and internal teams on solving the HV Battery design issues, manufacturability issues, quality issues, etc with appropriate containment tasks, ensuring compliance with the specifications of the battery development process.
- Lead the HV battery design test and verification and validation test plans, overseeing the test runs and analyzing the test results to inform the product design and reliability targets.
- Collaborate with key the HV Battery system and powertrain component suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Be responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs and DVP&Rs.
- BS or MS in an engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of engineering experience, with 5+ years of engineering experience in electric vehicle high voltage battery engineering, design and development, and 5+ years of program management. (OEM or Tier 1 level).
- Proficiency in CATIA V5 or V6 within a product development environment.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle program from concept to in-field validation.
- Ability to implement GD&T and dimensional engineering principles in design.
- Experience with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVPs and PVPs, and APQP, and overall understanding of HV battery test and certification processes and requirements. [ie UN38.3, ECE-R100.3, UL 2580, SAE J2464]
- Automotive or aerospace experience
- Passion for electric, autonomous mobility.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $155,000 to $255,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to email@example.com or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.