Product & Regulatory Counsel
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2023
Zoox is looking for an energetic, self-starting attorney to join our growing legal team and Zoox’s mission to create the first ground-up and purpose-built autonomous vehicle mobility service.
In this role, you will support our vehicle development, software, system design and mission assurance, fleet operations, experience, and marketing teams on a broad range of product, safety, product liability, technology, inclusivity, marketing, and service-related matters. You will partner with Zoox’s homologation, safety, and policy teams on FMVSS compliance, incident response, and various other automotive regulatory and compliance issues. You will also support cross-functional privacy efforts and initiatives with various stakeholders across Zoox, including InfoSec and software, to support Zoox’s privacy framework and infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate experience with product and compliance matters. A strong background in products liability and safety-related matters is required, and experience in the technology or automotive industry is preferred. Experience interfacing with state and federal regulatory bodies is a plus.
This role will be Zoox’s second product counsel and will have significant room for growth as Zoox’s operation matures. This role will report to Zoox’s Associate General Counsel, Product & Regulatory.
- 6+ years handling product and compliance issues in the hardware, software, or automotive spaces, preferably both in-house and at a law firm
- Significant experience with safety, litigation, or product liability issues
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with lots of room for innovation and decision-making
- Experience juggling multiple projects at once and delivering on time based on business priority
- Excellent business and legal judgment and the ability to work flexibly with a variety of teams
- Inquisitiveness, willingness to learn new things, and ability to take the initiative to solve problems without being explicitly instructed to do so
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Experience working for or with OEM and vehicle manufacturing companies
- Experience working with business and technology teams implementing product and privacy compliance initiatives
- Experience working on a product or service launch
- Experience handling manufacturing and environmental regulatory and compliance issues
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $176,000 to $254,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?