Senior/Staff Embedded Software Engineer - Firmware Architecture
Software Engineering, IT
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
About the Role
The Firmware Architecture team at Zoox is responsible for guiding the development of our embedded systems and the firmware that makes them tick. Our team collaborates with other firmware, hardware, software, systems, and safety teams across Zoox to build complex systems designed for challenging automotive environments.
Together with the team, you will define the firmware architecture of our embedded systems and work with our cross-functional partners to drive the development of our next-generation robot. We are looking for a firmware engineer who is excited to work across our entire stack, loves to learn new things, and likes to take ownership of major components. If you like to drive the design and development of complex embedded systems, we would like to hear from you.
- You will use your leadership skills to collaborate with our firmware leads, enabling them to design the architecture of our ECUs and create requirements, design documentation, test plans, and other supporting documentation.
- Additionally, you will work with our safety and systems teams to ensure our firmware development follows industry standards and processes (ISO-26262, etc.)
- You will work closely with our hardware engineers and safety teams to develop the future platforms that will power our next-generation robots.
- You will evaluate operating systems, frameworks, and tools to provide technical direction for the firmware organization.
- You will provide technical guidance and assistance to engineering teams at Zoox to solve challenging firmware issues.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience.
- At least 7 years of experience developing highly available mission-critical embedded software.
- Strong embedded C/C++ programming experience.
- Experience with high-assurance development practices and tools (Polarion, ISO-26262, AUTOSAR/MISRA, etc.)
- History of providing technical leadership and guidance to other teams, enabling them to achieve their goals and deliver impact.
- Understanding of vehicle dynamics, automotive sensors and actuators, and communication protocols.
- Familiarity with Hazard and Risk Assessment (HARA) and/or Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $198,000 to $282,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?