Safety Technical Program Manager
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2023
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous robotaxi and safely deploy a transformative mobility solution for cities. The Safety Technical Program Manager will coordinate, support, and deliver our safety planning, research, implementation, and safety program initiatives across Zoox teams and milestones, and drive the continuous improvement of our safety culture, risk management, data assessment, and decision-making processes.
As the Safety Technical Program Manager, you will define and implement innovative processes that are rigorous, diligent, and systematic as Zoox continues to scale, to ensure the highest level of safety in the organization and product milestones. You will continually improve our internal and external processes, including our Safety Management Systems approach, Data Analysis, Operational Safety, Incident Response, Regulatory Reporting, Safety Research, Industry Standards, Anonymous Reporting, and Risk Assessment activities, working closely with our Legal, Policy, Operations, Vehicle Engineering, Safety Design, Software, Hardware and Communications teams to ensure a rigorous, disciplined, risk-based approach.
- Partner with executives, department managers and safety specialists to translate top-down corporate safety strategy and program milestones into technically-detailed safety road maps, timelines, deliverables, data, and metrics as part of an innovative holistic safety plan, while operating cross-functionally with other organizations
- Create, coordinate, and implement high quality safety programs and processes with internal and external collaborators to keep Zoox at the forefront of AV safety best practices and provide data, analysis, and engineering-based technical guidance to our engineering, software, user experience, human factors, and other teams
- Support operational safety and regulatory reporting with detailed data quality assurance, technical verification, document control, and task tracking processes, including leading regular progress meetings
- Ensure that the Safety Policy and Strategy Team is well-represented, informed, and influential on internal and external program and communication efforts, and that problems are transparent and risks are identified and proactively ensure that risk-mitigating actions are ongoing within the functional teams
- Establish data, databases, and standard reports to provide concise and effective communications to key stakeholders on program status, issues/risks, and accomplishments
- Assist with formal reviews of safety programs with executive leadership and present data, findings and areas of improvement
- Lead cross-functional teams to define and then track resource requirements (headcount and budget) as inputs to finance
- Champion strong safety culture at Zoox, and represent Zoox with key external stakeholders and organizations
- Support the continuing development and implementation of successful operational safety and compliance programs
- 5+ years of experience in the AV, Automotive, Aviation, Transportation, Defense, Robotics or other safety-focused industries. Willing to train the right entry-level candidate
- Ability to theorize, create, and implement successful safety, quality, data, or testing programs, ideally in the AV or Robotics industry
- Strong influence and communication skills with all levels of management, including proven ability to collaborate to achieve multiple simultaneous goals for the organization
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or Data Science; will consider other degrees in a technical or safety related field
- PMP certification or or equivalent.
- Experience with developing and scaling strategy, processes, plans, procedures, reporting and handling escalations
- Familiarity with existing AV safety-related industry standards and best practices, or is an actively participating member of professional engineering or safety organizations
- Experience with systems engineering, functional safety and SOTIF methodologies
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $151,000 to $216,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?