Manager - Robot Platform Safety, Trajectory Generation
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2023
As a people manager within Platform Safety Engineering and Analysis (PSEA), you will lead a team of 5 or more engineers, responsible for the functional safety and performance of the trajectory generation part of the autonomous vehicle platform. You will organize your team to work closely with partner software, firmware, hardware, and systems engineers to define, refine and manage the architecture and requirements (safety concept) for the parts of the system hosting trajectory generation functionality. This includes sensing and perception, pose, vehicle localization and the compute platform on which ML-based algorithms for prediction and planning are executed. Your team will be responsible for the analysis, development and refinement of safety mechanisms and the collision avoidance system.
You will have strong technical skills, understanding traditional functional safety from risk evaluation and management principles through technical solutions, using ISO 26262 and similar standards. You will also have the leadership and technical direction to apply these principles to autonomous technology. You will demonstrate intrinsic ownership of projects that you and your team work on, set the quality bar and lead by example on technical excellence and data-informed decision making. You will empower the team through coaching and effective planning in a dynamic environment.
- With your team, you will solve complex technical problems related to localization, sensing and perception, high performance compute, timing and safety of the vehicle, that will help Zoox continue to strengthen its safety case. This will be achieved through defining requirements, suggesting architecture and using simulations and real-world testing to verify/validate.
- Formulate, simulate and support the prototyping of new solutions, present ideas, anticipate potential objections, and bring parties together to build consensus
- Review architectures, safety requirements and safety analyses
- Work with other teams within PSEA, under the guidance of the PSEA manager, to apply consistent principles across the entire platform and ensure consistency of safety with other requirements at interfaces and consistent system responses including fail-operational and minimal risk conditions
- Work with internal stakeholders and external suppliers to characterize components and to develop practical yet pragmatic solutions to achieve the desired safety objectives, safety requirements and safety integrity levels
- Capture and evaluate residual risks according to the Zoox risk management process. Work with stakeholders to continually improve the risk management process and safety methodologies
- Personnel development, coaching and performance management. Help build a high-performing safety engineering team.
- Strategic planning, recruitment and growth of your team to support future platform developments and program milestones
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- B.S. or higher degree in Engineering or Science, including Robotics, Computer Science, Aerospace, Automotive, Electrical, Mechanical, Systems Engineering, or other related fields
- Min 8 years of work experience with complex, safety-related systems (depending on qualifications and other factors) plus min 2 years in a safety management role and min 2 years of managing a team
- A solid systems engineering foundation with practical experience using requirements management tools such as Polarion (preferred), DOORS or Jama
- Hands-on experience of safety analysis techniques such as HARA, FMEA, FTA in safety-related fields
- Expertise in specific ISO 26262 application of functional safety
- Have launched a product or delivered a technology into customers hands
- Strong mathematical/probabilistic skills
- Experience developing safety-related hardware or software across full development cycle
- Experience in model based systems engineering
- Experience of working with complex architectures and boosting safety integrity of non-safety components
- Practical experience of applying functional safety through the technical safety concept and implementing in hardware, software or both
- Experience in analyzing and applying safety of the intended functionality (SOTIF)
- Experience in applying all of the above to autonomous vehicle applications
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $195,000 to $245,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.