Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Lidar Localization
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2023
Our Calibration, Localization, and Mapping (CLAMS) team is responsible for building the algorithms and tools necessary for keeping Zoox vehicles well calibrated, always knowing where they’re located within the world, and aware of their environment. Without precise calibration, localization, and mapping our vehicles would be at a disadvantage when it comes to perceiving and reasoning about the surrounding world, and is therefore foundational in enabling results from many other teams across Zoox. This work is critical for scaling autonomous driving in a safe and reliable way. Together with the team, you will leverage lidar data to develop novel localization algorithms that will help solve challenging edge cases.
In this role, you will:
- Investigate and develop rigorous, cutting-edge solutions to challenging, real world localization and pose estimation problems
- Solve algorithmic problems that will allow Zoox to build a robust and safety-critical localization and pose system
- Increase stability and reliability of our fused global and odometric sensor data, to create a highly-accurate global position estimate
- Identify and mitigate failures of the position estimation system, e.g. driving outside nominal environments or during sensor failures
- 8+ years of experience in a related field
- Fluency in C++
- Experience with pose estimation, SLAM, probabilistic filtering, and 3D data
- Experience with LiDAR
- Strong mathematical skills
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience with realtime sensor fusion (e.g. IMU, LiDAR, camera, odometry, radar)
- Experience with 3D data and representations (pointclouds, meshes, etc.)
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $221,000 to $319,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.