Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Simulation Abstraction Layer
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 8, 2023
Our team is working to ensure Zoox’s hardware and software are safe for operation in the real world through the use of simulation. As part of this process, the team is responsible for designing and running large numbers of simulations to ensure Zoox’s hardware and software operate as expected.
In this role, you will help us scale to meet future milestones by automating complex processes, architecting systems to be robust, efficient and cost-effective, steering design and implementation decisions, and helping the team identify future system-level limitations. You should expect to work with cross-functional partners across mapping, simulation, planning and perception among others.
You will be responsible for producing critical metrics that drive company-level decisions for the deployment of our driverless robots on public roads.
- The ideal candidate for this role will have a range of skills, including being a strong developer, an effective communicator, and a thoughtful mentor.
- On the development side, you should be able to dive into large, complex systems that are already in place, as well as help plan and build new systems from scratch as needed.
- This role will be highly cross-functional, so being able to understand at a high-level how external systems work, as well as clearly communicating how our team’s systems work to cross-team technical and non-technical stakeholders will be key to your success.
- Candidates for this role may have the opportunity to lead a sub-team of up to three direct reports.
- In this role you will be responsible for helping to deliver mission-critical metrics to the executive team to drive major roadmap decisions
- Fluency in Python
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in computer science, applied mathematics, engineering, or other quantitative area
- 8+ years of industry experience in software engineering or data engineering
- Experience building entire systems from scratch or meaningfully contributing to existing large-scale system
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- Master’s or PhD Degree in a quantitative area
- Experience with cloud and infra technologies (AWS, S3, SQL, Databricks, Airflow) and coding best practices
- Familiarity with C++
- Familiarity with autonomous vehicle systems
- Experience with quantitative analysis of complex systems, probability and statistics
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $204,000 to $294,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.