Manager, Motion Planning System Test
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, July 4, 2023
Autonomous vehicles have some of the largest, most complex software ever shipped in a safety-critical environment. Solving that problem is one of the most exciting technical challenges of our lifetime.
As the Manager of our Motion Planning System Test team, you will lead a team of engineers who help accelerate our product development by partnering with developers to build the safest and most reliable autonomous driving software possible. As developers build new features in Motion Planning and Control, our test engineers develop extensive test plans, design simulated tests to execute many different scenarios, and triage issues seen during on-vehicle testing. These efforts are critical to exposing unforeseen failure modes, implementation bugs, and other issues as a result of new feature development.
- As a technical leader, you will focus on designing and developing test methodologies targeting the driving behavior of our software stack for autonomous vehicles. The team is responsible for evaluating the performance of our software prior to and in parallel with public road evaluation.
- You will work closely with Motion Planning, Perception, Prediction, and other Robotics teams to integrate your features and validate driving features.
- Work closely with the Simulation tools development team to provide inputs on capabilities and define roadmaps for the tools ecosystem.
- Promote the development of tools and automation to expand test coverage and improve efficiency by adopting a metrics-based approach.
- Develop dashboards to track progress and quality. Document and troubleshoot test results into actionable issues.
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Computer Science or STEM-related field
- 2+ years experience with people management, planning, scheduling, and performing test activities
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering or other modeling and simulation role
- Experience with designing and implementing test strategies that scale across multiple test teams
- Strong organizational, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience with Python and Linux-based operating systems
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $185,000 to $225,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and/or the World Health Organization. In addition, employees who are eligible for a COVID-19 booster vaccine (“Booster”) will be required to receive a Booster. Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.