Senior/Staff Mechanical Engineer, Prototyping
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 6, 2023
The Zoox Prototyping Team is responsible for unblocking the intricacies of Autonomous Mobility. Our team serves as a technical hub to resolve any challenging engineering and design problems. Together with the Prototyping Engineering team, you will accelerate the progress of hardware and software development through your innovative ideas, applied to newly discovered and interesting topics. You will develop a wide range of skills in fast prototyping scenarios, as you unlock the future of transportation. If you enjoy cross-functional and meaningful work, then come join this passionate team where conceptual ideas are materialized into the physical world. As a team, we will make cities safer, smarter, and more sustainable.
- Design, in CATIA V6, prototype hardware, and electromechanical systems
- Generate 3D models and 2D drawing packages for fabrication and assembly
- Evaluate the dynamic, static, structural, and thermal-mechanical performances of mechanical assemblies
- Collaborate with experts in Industrial Design, Vehicle Engineering, Electronic Components, Mechatronics, and Robotics from all teams throughout Zoox
- Experience with 2D drawing packages, including GD&T
- Design with CAD tools, such as CATIA V6, within 3DX PLM
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience, in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering
- Experience with structural, kinematic, and thermal-mechanical calculation.
- Knowledge of physics.
- Experience with mechanical technologies: machining, welding, and 3D printing.
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience
- Integrating electromechanical systems
- Designing consumer products or industrial equipment
- FEM Simulation
- Dynamic Simulation
- Software: SOLIDWORKS, SimWise4D, or similar; MATLAB, Simulink
- Prototyping experience
- Automotive environment
Compensation and Benefits
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $146,000 to $241,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and/or the World Health Organization. In addition, employees who are eligible for a COVID-19 booster vaccine (“Booster”) will be required to receive a Booster. Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.