Mechanical Engineer, High Voltage Distribution
Other Engineering, Operations
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 2, 2023
As a member of the ZOOX Powertrain team, you will have the opportunity to come on board at the start of the development of the next generation of mobility vehicles. As the High Voltage Distribution Mechanical Engineer, you will work across aspects of the high voltage system regarding mechanical systems, charging system controls, high voltage distribution, and the integration of the HV distribution into a brand-new vehicle architecture. You will report to the Charging and HV Distribution Engineering Manager within Zoox’s Vehicle Engineering Team. As the mechanical engineer, you will work to ensure the successful delivery of systems and assemblies, from conception through to the start of production. Crucial to this success will be driving and managing key relationships with Zoox’s supplier network while Zoox maintains a lean and agile cross-functional team in-house. You will use your knowledge to direct the technical effort, your expertise to ground the team, and your excellent communication and interpersonal skills to motivate and lead as we take a new path to redefine a traditional and well-established industry.
- You will define requirements and specifications for the HV Junction Box to achieve vehicle attribute targets towards structure, mass, performance, manufacturability, and cost targets.
- You will manage the design release of HV Junction Box components, sub-systems, and detail designs; utilizing supplier and ZOOX engineering.
- You will manage the delivery of components within the HV Junction Box system including enclosures, bus bars, contactors, and HV wiring.
- You will lead and coordinate with both supplier teams and internal teams on solving the HV Junction Box design issues, manufacturability issues, quality issues, etc with appropriate containment tasks, ensuring compliance with the specifications of the high voltage development process.
- You will lead the HV Junction Box design test and verification and validation test plans, overseeing the test runs and analyzing the test results to inform the product design and reliability targets.
- You will collaborate with key HV Junction Box system and powertrain component suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- You will be responsible for technical documentation including DFMEAs and DVP&Rs. You will need to understand HV Junction Box mechanical and electrical testing methods.
- BS or MS in an engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years of engineering experience in electric vehicle high voltage engineering, design, and development, and 2+ years of program management. (OEM or Tier 1 level).
- Proficiency in CATIA V5 or V6 within a product development environment.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle program from concept to in-field validation.
- Ability to implement GD&T and dimensional engineering principles in design.
- Experience with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVPs and PVPs, and APQP
- Automotive or aerospace experience
- Passion for electric, autonomous mobility.
- There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $119,000 to $195,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
- Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and/or the World Health Organization. In addition, employees who are eligible for a COVID-19 booster vaccine (“Booster”) will be required to receive a Booster. Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.