Senior/Staff Software Engineer, Ride & Fleet Services - Product
Software Engineering, Product
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, December 12, 2020
The ride and fleet backend team is looking for a backend Software Engineer/Tech Lead to build out the backend services that are responsible for ensuring that we are efficiently dispatching missions to our robots and providing top-notch rider and vehicle operator experience across mobile apps, robots, and web apps.
Zoox robots take missions like Rideshare Trips, Charging, Cleaning, and support rider interactions like Authentication, Ingress, and Egress. It is the backbone of our autonomous fleet management system and the brains behind connecting our riders and vehicle operators to our robots.
- Design and build a scalable, efficient, and robust backend services for ride hailing, autonomous charging, cleaning, fleet monitoring and coordination purposes.
- Develop dispatch solutions for multi-agent coordination, resource allocation, planning, and optimization for a fleet of autonomous vehicles.
- Keep the system in a scalable, observable and fault tolerant way with high performance.
- Design and build clean and flexible APIs and data models for rider mobile apps, robots and fleet management tools and support the integration with these clients.
- Design and build the vehicle agent component that bridges the communication between vehicle components and backend service to make the communication efficient and robust.
- Collaborate with teams of world-class engineers from diverse backgrounds with expertise in distributed computing, rider experience, web and mobile applications, autonomous driving, mapping, AI, and software infrastructure.
- Contribute to products that impact humans and their experience in autonomous vehicle ride and work on solving problems that arise from real-life situations.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, math, or related field
- Extensive experience with design and implementation of distributed backend services
- Extensive experience with programming and algorithm design
- Experience with Kotlin or Java, Python, C++, REST API, Protobuf, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Elasticsearch
- Experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Passion for learning new technologies, domains, and challenging the status quo
- Strong mathematics skills
- Masters degree in computer science or related degree
- Ability to lead through ambiguity and work with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to Iterate quickly and efficiently on building end-to-end experiences
- Experience with task-allocation or fleet optimization or operations research
- Experience with customer-face application experience
- Experience handling large data sets
- Experience building low-latency data streaming infrastructure
- Knowledge about microservice design patterns
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Docker, Kotlin
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $203,000 to $293,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.