Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Simulation Architecture
Software Engineering, IT
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Simulation is essential for Zoox to rapidly iterate on our driving software and hardware, and to validate our safety before we drive in the real world. We create virtual worlds to challenge our robots, from real world data, entirely novel scenarios, or a combination of both. Our simulations need to run at a huge scale to cover everything that might happen, and to help prove our driving to be safe.
As a simulation core engineer you build the architecture on which simulation relies - from the fundamental concepts of the simulated world, through to how simulation interacts with the whole software and hardware stack at Zoox. Our success depends on you building solid foundations which enable rapid and efficient development by all our teams, inside and outside of simulation.
- Architect and support foundational sim software
- Own the interface between simulation and rest of the self-driving software stack
- Improve simulation performance: both directly and by building tools to help others
- Build systems that allow users to self serve, or to get help, to accelerate their own work
- Ensure the reproducibility of simulation results
- 8+ years of experience in a related field
- A BS in Computer Science or a similar discipline.
- 4+ years industry experience writing C++
- Mathematics skills such as trigonometry and linear algebra
- Automotive, robotics, or video game industry experience
- System design experience, especially of software in computer clusters
- Experience in performance optimization, from single-threaded applications to whole clusters
- Experience in data science and machine learning
- Familiarity with Python
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $200,000 to $285,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and/or the World Health Organization. In addition, employees who are eligible for a COVID-19 booster vaccine (“Booster”) will be required to receive a Booster. Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.