Senior/Staff Software Engineer - Mapping Data Software
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Our Calibration, Localization, and Mapping (CLAMS) team is responsible for building the algorithms and tools necessary for keeping Zoox vehicles well calibrated, always knowing where they’re located within the world, and aware of their environment. Without precise calibration, localization, and mapping our vehicles would be at a disadvantage when it comes to perceiving and reasoning about the surrounding world, and is therefore foundational in enabling results from many other teams across Zoox. This work is critical for scaling autonomous driving in a safe and reliable way. We are looking for engineers who are ambitious and excited about helping Zoox deliver on its goals to deliver autonomous mobility.
The Mapping Data Software team is responsible for developing the tools and infrastructure necessary to build, curate, and manage our high definition road network. This team is responsible for developing and maintaining the core technologies and contracts that our customers rely upon. These include the specification of the road network data format, client-side libraries and tools to access road network data, as well as services pivotal to the integrity and availability of road network data. The Mapping Data Software team provides solutions to consumers in all domains: from developer and content production workflows, to in-cluster training jobs, and on-vehicle realtime access.
- Design and develop essential mapping components including the data format, validation frameworks, post-processing pipelines, and interfaces consumed by downstream customers
- Work cross-functionally with teams across Zoox to grow and supports APIs used by teams across Zoox
- Create software requirements, design documentation, test plans, and other supporting documentation
- Contribute to all phases of the software development cycle including prototyping, requirements capture, design, implementation, and validation
- Bachelors or higher in Computer Science or related field
- 8+ years of industry experience
- Fluency in Python and/or C++
- Passion for code correctness, testability, modularity, and elegant architectures
- Drive to build a highly scalable mapping system
- Experience working with cloud and web technologies (AWS, S3, EC2, SQL, HTML, JS, CSS)
- Experience handling large data sets efficiently
- Experience with SQL / database design
- Experience working with geographic data
- Familiarity with SLAM
- Strong mathematical skills
- Experience designing metrics and knowledge of statistics
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $204,000 to $294,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.