Thermal Control Internship/Co-Op
Fremont, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2023
Zoox has embarked on a highly-ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for our cities, committed to revolutionizing transportation through cutting-edge technology and sustainable solutions. As we continue to push the boundaries of EV technology, we are excited to offer an Electric Vehicle Thermal Control Internship opportunity for passionate individuals who want to gain hands-on experience in the exciting field of electric vehicle thermal management. As an Electric Vehicle Thermal Control Intern at Zoox, you will have the opportunity to work closely with our experienced engineers and gain valuable real-world experience in the design, development, and validation of thermal control systems for electric vehicles. This internship will provide you with the chance to contribute to meaningful projects and learn from industry experts.
Assist in Thermal System Design: Collaborate with the engineering team to assist in the design and development of thermal management strategies for electric vehicles, including battery cooling, cabin climate control, and powertrain cooling.
Data Collection and Analysis: Support in collecting and analyzing data from thermal tests on prototypes and production vehicles, helping to evaluate system performance and reliability.
Simulation Support: Assist in utilizing thermal simulation tools to model and predict thermal behaviors, ensuring that EV components operate within safe temperature ranges.
Documentation: Maintain detailed records of experiments, findings, and designs, and contribute to the creation of technical documentation.
Component Testing: Participate in the testing of thermal control system components such as heat exchangers, pumps, fans, and coolant systems.
Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and software developers, to support the integration of thermal control systems into the vehicle architecture.
Learn and Adapt: Be proactive in learning about the latest industry trends and emerging technologies related to electric vehicle thermal management.
Technical Qualifications & Language Requirements
- Enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree program in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- Strong interest in electric vehicles and sustainable transportation. Experience with electric vehicles and electric vehicle components is a plus.
- Solid knowledge in linear systems analysis, stability, and classic and model based controller design.
- Proficient in Matlab, Simulink, D-space or SpeedGoat.
- Experience with 1D simulation tools, such as GT Power products.
- Experience with at least one software package and programming languages like C/C++, Python.
- Experience with control system development, modeling, and implementation.
- Capable of delivering data analysis, query and processing to evaluate performance.
- Eagerness to learn, adapt, and contribute to a collaborative team environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics is a plus.
The monthly salary range for this position is $6,500 to $9,500. Compensation will vary based on role, degree level and type, and benefits will be offered based on eligibility. Additional benefits may include medical insurance, 401k, and a housing stipend.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.