Platform Stability Engineer
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2023
The Vehicle Electrical Systems Integration team at Zoox delivers a validated vehicle including firmware (FW) and hardware (HW) packages to our robot platform. The team is also the first stop for triaging, identifying, and investigating CAN, LIN, and electrical issues in the field and during vehicle bring-ups.
As a Platform Stability Engineer, you will be on the frontlines keeping our robots healthy. You will be responsible for the initial review of issues related to vehicle domains (ECUs, chassis, electric powertrain, HV charging, thermal system, brakes, steering, suspension, and lighting as examples). This issue identification is enabled by reviewing vehicle-level CAN logs, investigating the issue, providing insight into the potential root cause, and then working with the responsible team to deliver a solution. You will also drive teams to identify actions that could prevent an issue from occurring again. This is a highly cross-functional role as you will be working with various HW and FW engineering teams, operations teams, and the vehicle and program management office.
We are looking for an engineer who is passionate about electric vehicle architecture, and autonomous driving, has strong problem-solving skills, and has a commitment to deliver on time.
- You will provide the initial issue triage for field issues
- You will review the log data, and investigate to determine the probable root cause
- You will work with the issue owner to close out the issue
- You will drive for decisions on interim containment and permanent corrective actions, as appropriate
- You will work with issue owners to identify how this issue is prevented from occurring again
- You will work with the issue owner and suppliers, as needed to communicate your findings.
- You will report on identified issues, next steps, and help needed, and flag risks to the program with appropriate mitigation plans. This includes supporting and reporting at the working level and leadership level meetings
- BS or equivalent in an engineering discipline, EE or Mechatronics preferred
- 8+ years of experience in automotive engineering
- Experience designing or testing vehicle systems (electrical and/or mechanical)
- Experience with electrical and vehicle network architecture (CAN and LIN)
- Experience with hands-on electrical troubleshooting
- Experience with CAN, LIN, and A/D measurement system setup (Vector, Memorator, Inca, Intrepid, dSpace, IPEtronic, CSM, Deweysoft, etc.)
- Python programming and building automation tools
- Grafana and other data analysis toolsets
- Diagnostics development
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $142,000 to $232,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.