Chassis Engineer, Actuators
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
At Zoox, you’ll collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as AI, robotics, mechatronics, planning, machine learning, control, localization, computer vision, rendering, simulation, distributed computing, design, and automated testing. You will be challenged to rethink what it means for hardware design to arrive at elegant and efficient systems now that a robot is in control. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
The candidate will be responsible for the component design and release of a variety of chassis components. To deliver these systems, the candidate will be an integral member of the chassis actuator engineering team and will coordinate the execution and delivery of engineering milestones. The candidate will work with tier-one suppliers to lead the development and release of components related to an active chassis system while meeting cost, weight, timing, and performance targets. The scope includes the chassis elements of active suspension, brake, and steering systems including mechatronic units, hydraulic pumps, valves, accumulators, and electronic controllers. The candidate will also have experience interfacing with electrical systems and software groups. Documentation to be delivered in support of component and vehicle execution will include requirements and specifications, failure mode and effects analysis, CAD, 2D, and 3D computer-aided drawings, PLM release process documents, as well as system and component level technical specifications. As we are a small team, this role will also other cross-functional activities such as vehicle integration and testing.
- You will design, in CATIA V6, prototype hardware, and electromechanical systems
- You will generate 2D drawing packages for fabrication and assembly
- You will release drawings via PLM systems into production
- You will evaluate the static, dynamic, structural, and thermal-mechanical performances of mechanical assemblies
- You will optimize the design and build of our Prototype Development Fleet
- You will collaborate with suppliers to manage designs, and design documents, and execute engineering disciplines and component deliveries.
- You will collaborate with different Zoox teams for manufacturing, assembly, and bring up of the robots.
- You will collaborate with experts in AI, Mechatronics, Computer Vision, and Robotics from all teams throughout Zoox
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical (or related) engineering – Masters or PhD a plus
- 5+ years of experience in engineering
- Experience in vehicle engineering, chassis systems design, and component delivery
- Understanding of mechanical systems design, hydraulic systems, and system architecture
- Experience in testing and vehicle development
- Knowledge of automotive program development/release process and long-term schedule planning
- Proficiency with CATIA V5 or V6 CAD software
- Design with CAD tools, such as CATIA V6, and experience with 2D drawings including GD&T.
- Patent awards
- CAN & Network skills
- Polarion, Jira and Confluence experience.
- Simulink software proficiency and hydraulic system modeling
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $137,000 to $222,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.