Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Zoox is seeking an experienced, action-oriented, and hands-on Tooling Engineer to ensure the tooling (steel, metal forming, etc) used to build our vehicle fleet are cost-effective, high quality, and developed within sufficient lead time. The role will include developing bottoms up should-cost models for tooling, evaluating supplier tooling quotes, validating the manufacturing methods of tooling, and identifying and managing preferred tooling vendors.
- Ensure all manufacturing of tooling and fixtures is correct, and the processes and quality of the tooling is to industry standard
- Assist the supplier meetings and support the Sourcing team and the Vehicle engineers as well as the supplier quality engineers on steel pressed and other metal manufacturing methods for parts and tooling
- Conduct tool price negotiation via the tooling breakdown sheets with the sourcing team
- Perform tooling and fixture buy-off in the supplier with the SQ engineer
- Visit and work with our tier 1 suppliers and their tier 2 toolmakers to ensure that Zoox gets quality tooling and parts
- Perform design reviews on tooling with Teir 1 and Teir 2 toolmakers on tool design to ensure that all parts are manufacturable and have undergone an industrialization process
- Track and update tooling records with the relevant information and, log into the database with ZOOX property labels and pictures, and communicate/report any slippage to the team
- Lead the tooling purchase with cross-functional teams to reduce the time spent in the RFQ phase
- 10+ years of hands-on experience involving specification and qualification of steel or metal forming tooling experience required
- Technical degree or Bachelors
- Ability to perform and review tooling breakdown sheets, negotiate timing plans, and input tooling savings into PDB
- Experience conducting and updating site visit reports, fortnightly reports, and reviewing tooling production pictures on a weekly basis
- Experience collaborating with supply management, product design, industrial design, and manufacturing groups
- Experience with tooling asset tags and tooling lists
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Proficient in the use of CAD (Catia V5/6)
- Automotive industry preferred
- Proficient with the use of Design for Manufacturing, SPC, and DFMEA
- Experience in managing complex development programs with overseas tooling vendors
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $151,000 to $250,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.