Senior/Staff Software Engineer, Ride & Fleet Services - Platform
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 4, 2023
Ride and Fleet Services is looking for a Senior/Staff Software Engineer to help build and optimize a robust platform that orchestrates the Zoox robotaxi service.
Zoox is building a future for Riders, not drivers. At the heart of this vision is our robotaxi service. This service includes a series of mission critical APIs that require a high level of resilience as they serve both internal and external users and our fleet of autonomous vehicles.
If you are a natural optimizer and care deeply about building resilient services, you will excel in this role. We need engineers to identify impactful opportunities, execute on them and measure impact. You will need to be able to operate with a high level of detail to root cause errors and latencies, while also maintaining awareness of overall system architecture.
You will be proactive in analyzing the health of our APIs and identify impactful improvements. These may contribute positively to performance, scalability, error rates, observability, privacy or security.
- Build out and scale up our robotaxi orchestration service and its key APIs that serve internal and external users.
- Use existing monitoring, observability and stress-test tools to identify performance improvements and help implement them.
- Iteratively improve monitoring and observability as our traffic grows.
- Work closely with our Site Reliability Engineering team to optimally configure our services.
- Identify key reliability risks and propose solutions to reduce them.
- Work with our Security team to improve our security posture by managing dependencies, developing strong security practices and resolving identified issues.
- Drive towards a culture of high test coverage and work closely with our Software Development Engineering in Test team members
- Audit, control and minimize privacy concerns to upkeep compliance.
- A strong bias towards shipping working, well tested software.
- Passionate about optimizing systems for maximum efficiency and resilience.
- Extensive experience with design and implementation of backend services.
- Experience with Kotlin or Java, Python, REST APIs and SQL.
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Deeply cares about monitoring and diagnosing issues of production systems.
- Degree in computer science or related degree.
- Experience with Spring Boot based microservice architectures, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes or Docker.
- Recent experience in programming languages such as Python or Kotlin.
- Knowledgeable with privacy considerations and how to implement privacy best practices.
- A drive towards building secure systems.
- Experience optimizing SQL queries.
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code, such as Helm or Terraform.
- Experience with event driven architecture and Kafka.
- Ability to leverage monitoring and metrics tools such as Prometheus/Grafana.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $203,000 to $293,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.