Power Systems Engineer, Charging Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
The Powertrain Engineering team at Zoox is responsible for the design, development, and production of an electric powertrain specifically tailored for our autonomous mobility service. Our team has an action-biased culture marked by integrity, humility, competence, and passion for the Zoox mission and the systems we design. We are building real products here and are looking for doers to join us.
As a Power Systems Engineer, your role involves designing and supporting multiple Zoox charging infrastructure projects. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams across the company to ensure the achievement of company milestones and the delivery of an optimized, reliable charging infrastructure for Zoox operations. The Power Systems Engineer is responsible for the charging depot power architecture, power distribution, load flow studies, short circuit studies, component selection, and overseeing the construction and execution of the charging depot. If you are enthusiastic about addressing challenging problems and leading the team to success, we would like to hear from you.
- You will work with various utility companies in the cities of Zoox’s market interests and assess the technical feasibility of pulling power to the charging sites.
- You will generate, own, and manage the technical requirements and standards, and provide strategic, commercial, and technical guidance to the design and development of power distribution to the charging sites that meet all the relevant standards, codes, and norms.
- You will ensure external teams are performing the outsourced duties (such as short circuit studies, protective device coordination, load flow studies, data BW needs, etc) and effectively communicate the results to the appropriate project stakeholders within the company.
- You will perform or guide teams to perform trade-off studies and simulations to support making high capex decisions such as power pull, transformer install, energy storage, onsite etc.
- You will perform or guide teams to perform site-level energy trade-off studies on using grid power with integrated solar and battery backups on the site.
- You will provide technical guidance to the procurement team on negotiating the grid interconnect contracts, civil work contracts, etc.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or relevant education
- 5+ years of experience in system design, layout, component selection, bill of materials, and electrical control wiring diagrams
- Experience with medium voltage power distribution, low-to-medium voltage switchgear (5 kV - 38 kV), and associated protection and control circuits
- Expert Knowledge of NEC, NESC, IEEE, and ANSI standards applicable to power systems design and protection
- Expert knowledge of generating site’s medium voltage and substation design switchgear sizing, cabinet design, and extensive knowledge of various grid codes, norms, and best practices in design and certain interconnection standards and handbooks.
- Have designed and oversaw the commissioning of the LV and MV installations at utilities, industrial plants, commercial and residential facilities, data centers, etc.
- Working knowledge of SCADA and telemetry
- Experience in arc flash and power system studies, including short circuit, protective device coordination, load flow, grounding, harmonic, and power quality studies.
- About 25% of travel is needed for this role.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $137,000 to $222,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.