Backend Software Engineer, Data Platform
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
The Data team leverages data from our autonomous vehicles and operations to determine autonomy and service readiness. We provide the foundation for strategic decision-making at Zoox. You will develop and implement the next generation of our data pipeline to ensure visibility into our business as we scale toward the launch of an autonomous mobility service. You will define the system and build the pipeline to enable Zoox to develop and scale with a data-first culture.
You will join a diverse, experienced team with rapidly growing scope and responsibility while also having access to one of the most unique data sets in the autonomous vehicle industry. Hence, we are seeking all skill levels to grow with the team.
- Design, build, and maintain a platform used by Zoox teams to build large-scale data pipelines
- Drive platform efficiency improvements to reduce latency and improve data freshness
- Support data-driven engineering decisions through improved observability and key metrics
- Partner with engineering teams to support long-term scaling of their data pipelines
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong fluency with Python, C/C++, or Java
- Strong understanding of distributed systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good experience building and maintaining data intensive production systems at scale
- Good experience with relational databases and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Good experience with infrastructure-as-code tools (e.g. Terraform, …)
- Experience with large scale streaming platforms (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis) and storage engines (e.g. HDFS, HBase, …)
- Experience with data warehouse platforms (e.g. Redshift, BigQuery, Databricks, …)
- Experience building scalable and maintainable data pipelines
- Experience with AWS ECS and/or Kubernetes
- Experience with a workflow manager such as Airflow
- Experience with large scale processing frameworks (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, …)
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $164,000 to $234,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.