Field Safety Associate
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Reporting to the Manager of Field Safety Operations, the Field Safety Operations Associate will be responsible for our on-the-ground operational and field safety initiatives for the San Francisco Bay Area and Corporate Testing Sites, and drive the continuous improvement of our hardware and software through field experience feedback processes. You will be responsible for spearheading development and implementing effective customer-focused safety processes commensurate with Zoox’s safety innovative leadership.
As the Field Safety Operations Associate, you will continually evaluate field safety operations and define and implement processes that are repeatable across different vehicles and locations as Zoox continues to scale (locations, teams, fleets) to ensure the highest level of safety in operations. You will continually improve our lessons learned from all operations and incidents, including working closely on complex issues with our Operations, Vehicle Engineering, Safety Design, Software, Hardware, and Legal teams to ensure a rigorous, disciplined, risk-based approach.
The role will involve working primarily with the San Francisco Bay Area and Corporate Operations Teams, EHS & Legal, and Security personnel in providing day to day oversight to the team. A successful candidate will be able to support other Zoox safety efforts including Operational Safety, Safety Planning, Policy, Design, and Risk Assessment activities.
- Lead local on-the-ground operational requirements to drive rapid response to vehicles involved in Incidents or Stuck, as well as support incident on-call duties across the organization with poise and professionalism. This includes technical understanding of issues, problem solving, and quick decision-making, and could include 2nd and 3rd shift rotations
- Gather data and other information, conduct interviews and collect evidence as needed for vehicle safety events, potential safety incidents, close-calls/near-misses, and concerns involving Zoox vehicles during testing and field operations
- Collaborate with Vehicle Engineering, Supply Chain, Operations, Security, EHS, Logistics, and Places & Build teams on creating and implementing protocols and facilities for handling of high-voltage battery systems from incidents or recalls in regards to incident management, safe storage, transportation and recycling/disposal.
- As needed lead deep-dive learning events into vehicle safety events, and implement mitigations and solutions as appropriate
- Work with first responders and other government agencies to help them understand our field safety processes and operations, and incorporate their feedback
- Establish close collaboration and build trusting relationships with other crew members from cross-functional teams including hardware, software, vehicle engineering, operations, human factors, program management office, legal, security, and EHS in order to advise and support for safety critical findings or events
- Support the continuing development and implementation of successful operational safety and compliance programs
- Ensure that relevant operational safety metrics are tracked, reported, and used by internal stakeholders to manage safety risks
- BS degree or higher in a STEM discipline with 3-5+ years of applicable experience in Operational Safety, Field Safety Operations, Occupational Safety & Health, or similar role in a fast-paced environment where ambiguity is seen as opportunities or a combination of equivalent education and experience
- Possesses excellent EQ with an empathetic communication style that fosters connection, collaboration and motivation
- Someone who continuously researches safety trends, is a member of professional safety associations, and maintains a network of safety professionals
- Working experience in automotive industry or the autonomous driving technology industry
- Working experience as a first responder whose background includes responding to and/or investigating vehicle incidents
- Working experience in transportation safety operations, especially AV or aviation safety
- Working experience high voltage DC systems, lithium-ion batteries, battery storage systems, NFPA 70E
- Familiarity with applicable industry safety standards such as AVSC Best Practice documents
- Safety certifications such as Certified Safety Professional, Associate Safety Professional, Safety Management Specialist, NFPA Certified Electrical Safety Compliance Professional, or similar
- Trained or certified Six-Sigma GreenBelt, BlackBelt or Master BlackBelt
- Have experience or interest in participating on technical standards committees
- Familiarity with JIRA, Confluence, Polarian and Slack software applications
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $109,000 to $177,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.