Systems Engineer - Operational Field Safety Engineer
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities and safely deploy such a robotaxi solution. Zoox’s System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA) team is responsible for constructing the safety case and validating that our vehicles are safe enough to be deployed for autonomous driving. We play a foundational role for the success of the company. As Zoox prepares to launch our technology on public roads, we are seeking an experienced systems engineer who can bring the system safety engineering discipline to the field operations to ensure safe continuous operations of Zoox technology.
- Be the point of contact for SDMA for field operational safety issues. Triage the issue and lead/support the issue resolution process. Be available to support onsite issue investigation and resolution with short notice.
- Lead field safety investigations for events occur during operations & service
- Conduct root cause analysis using industry standard methodologies (5-why, fault tree, fish bone analysis, FMEA, CAST, etc.)
- Recommend corrective action plans (short and long term) and safety strategies based on investigation findings and align with cross functional stakeholders (engineering, operations, legal, safety policy, manufacturing, etc.) to define the solutions. These corrective action plans could include engineering solutions in hardware and software, as well as operational mitigations and process improvement
- Continuously track engineering and operational solutions to closure within SDMA
- Ensure continuous feedback loop to Systems Safety Operations & Service to improve and refine operational safety requirements
- Proactively identify potential safety hazards in Zoox’s field operation of autonomous driving as a service through structured predictive safety analysis and review of historical operational data.
- Be a part of the rotational on-call engineering team during milestone launch and operations.
- Brief and report out to executive teams
- BS degree in a relevant engineering field
- Have minimally 2-3 years of experience in deploying and managing complex field operations in relevant domains
- Hands on experience with incident investigations
- Systems engineering and systems safety training
- Experience in identifying and mitigating issues in real-world operations
- Possesses excellent EQ with an empathetic communication style that fosters connection, collaboration and motivation
- Track-record in managing complex cross-functional projects
- Have senior leadership experience (5+ years) in deploying and managing complex field operations in relevant domains
- Working experience in automotive industry or the autonomous driving technology industry
- Working level experience with safety critical systems
- Familiarity with industry safety standards such as MIL-STD-882, ISO 26262, ISO 21448, etc.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $131,000 to $215,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.