Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Components
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2023
At Zoox, you’ll collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as AI, robotics, mechatronics, planning, machine learning, control, localization, computer vision, rendering, simulation, distributed computing, design, and automated testing. You will be challenged to rethink what it means for hardware design to arrive at elegant and efficient systems now that a robot is in control. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
Our team is responsible for the design, development, and innovation of Electrical Control Unit (ECU) hardware for our autonomous vehicle. The candidate will take on the responsibility of designing mechanical enclosures for electromechanical hardware while adhering to cost, weight, and performance targets. Additionally, the candidate will play a leading role in managing module development, working closely with tier-one suppliers from prototype to production. The candidate will deliver required documentation such as failure mode and effects analysis, comprehensive 3D and 2D computer-aided drawings, and thorough technical specifications at component levels. We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, innovative, a self-starter, and excited to work as an exceptional mechanical engineer.
In this role, you will:
- Design mechanical components and assemblies for low to high production volumes.
- Work with mechanical, electrical, and test engineers to gather requirements and design components.
- Communicate with external partners and cross-functional teams to gather requirements and get design feedback
- Perform structural, modal, and thermal analyses to validate mechanical designs
- Work with manufacturing engineers and technicians to create work instructions for low to high production volumes.
- Sustain programs over time by incorporating learning from test campaigns and feedback from fleet operations.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience in vehicle design
- Experience with mechanical design for electronic device assemblies
- Experience with casting of metal components
- Experience with injection molding of plastic components
- Knowledge of automotive development/release process and long-term schedule planning
- Proficiency with CATIA V5 or V6 CAD software
- Consumer electronics experience
- Familiarity with Jira
- Patents awarded
- Experience at automotive OEM
- Thermal and modal analysis
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $119,000 to $195,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits, including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.