Senior Mechanical Engineer, Exteriors & Lighting
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 5, 2024
We are inventors, builders, and doers, passionate and purposeful in the work we do. We have a once-in-a-century opportunity to reinvent personal transportation—and we need your help. As a Mechanical Design Engineer supporting Lighting and Exteriors, you will work across all aspects of the Exterior and Interior Lighting system regarding Lamp Assemblies, Carriers/Brackets, System Controllers, and the integration of these systems into a brand-new vehicle architecture. You’ll be part of a passionate team dedicated to making cities safer, smarter, and more sustainable.
Together with the team, you will work to ensure the successful delivery of systems and assemblies from conception through to the start of production. We are looking for an engineer who can drive and manage key relationships with Zoox’s supplier network while Zoox maintains a lean and agile cross-functional team in-house. If you excel in using your knowledge to direct the technical effort, your expertise to ground the team, and your excellent communication and interpersonal skills to motivate and lead as we take a new path to redefine a traditional and well-established industry, we would like to hear from you!
In this role, you will:
- Manage the delivery of modules and components within the Vehicle Lighting & Exteriors System: Exterior Lighting, FEM, Front Fascia, Interior light modules with RGB LEDs, and Module Control Units for the Zoox L5 Vehicle program, by defining requirements, and specifications of Vehicle Lighting sub-systems to achieve Vehicle attribute targets towards structure, mass, and performance (FMVSS108, Exterior Integration).
- Undertake feasibility and prototype testing of novel cutting-edge lighting solutions for innovative projects but also analyze and review the EE architecture, block diagrams, schematics, and layout of electronic systems in relation to lighting products.
- Develop and present robust proposals for improvements and enhancements, with the ability to identify electronic design failures and recommend appropriate countermeasures.
- Be responsible for project delivery tasks such as: managing target delivery to build and validate milestones, supporting material and manufacturing process decisions, ensuring design release and validation, and being responsible for technical documentation including DFMEAs and DVP&Rs.
- Work collaboratively with key exterior system and plastic component suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical or Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- 8+ years of experience in the Automotive Industry, with 3+ years of experience with LV EE systems, ECU systems, CAN/LIN interfaces, DC-DC Convertors, linear drivers, etc. (OEM or Tier 1 level)
- Proficiency in CATIA V5 or V6 within a product development environment
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle program from concept to in-field validation
- Experience in injection molded component design and system DFM. Injection Molding / Plastic manufacturing process for both Class-A Components and Support Enclosures.
- Ability to implement GD&T and dimensional engineering principles in design. Experience with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVPs and PVPs, and APQP.
- Understanding of exterior SAE, ECE, and China regulations for homologation and vehicle crash requirements.
- Lighting or Optical design experience will be a plus.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $155,000 to $212,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.