Senior Chassis Engineer - Actuators/Active Suspension
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
At Zoox, you’ll collaborate with a team of world-class engineers with diverse backgrounds in areas such as AI, robotics, mechatronics, planning, machine learning, control, localization, computer vision, rendering, simulation, distributed computing, design, and automated testing. You will be challenged to rethink what it means for hardware design to arrive at elegant and efficient systems now that a robot is in control. Working at a startup gives you the chance to manifest your creativity and make a big difference in the final product.
The candidate will have component design and release responsibility for working with components on the innovative active suspension system. To deliver these systems, the candidate will be an integral member of the chassis actuator engineering team and will work with tier-one suppliers to lead the development and release of components related to the suspension for an active chassis system while meeting cost, weight, timing, and performance targets. The scope will focus primarily on the strut and spring design and requires prior experience with this set of components. The candidate will also have experience with hydraulic systems, vehicle dynamics development, and tuning, and CAN network communications and troubleshooting. Documentation to be delivered in support of component and vehicle execution will include requirements and specifications, failure mode and effects analysis, 2D and 3D computer-aided drawings, PLM release process documents, as well as system and component-level technical specifications. As we are a small team, this role will also other cross-functional activity such as vehicle integration and testing.
In this role, you will:
- Design, in CATIA V6, prototype hardware and electromechanical systems. Generate 2D drawing packages for fabrication and assembly
- Evaluate the static, dynamic, structural, and thermal-mechanical performances of mechanical assemblies
- Be responsible for component testing and characterization including the development of innovative test methods and data analysis.
- Collaborate with suppliers to manage designs, design documents, execute engineering disciplines and component deliveries.
- Collaborate with different Zoox teams for manufacturing, assembly and bring up and operation of the robots.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent experience
- At least 8+ years of automotive experience or related experience
- Design with CAD tools, such as CATIA V6 and experience with 2D drawings including GD&T.
- Experience with strut, spring, and damper design & development
- Some experience in vehicle engineering, chassis systems design, and component delivery
- Understanding of hydraulic systems, sealing systems, electrical systems, and system architecture
- Knowledge of automotive program development/release process and long-term schedule planning
- Experience with suspension, dampers and vehicle ride dynamics
- Experience at automotive OEM or significant Tier 1
- Simulink software proficiency and hydraulic system modeling
- Master or PhD is a plus
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $155,000 to $255,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to email@example.com or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.