Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
Zoox is looking for a firmware engineering intern to join our Firmware Applications team. In this role, you will write and test embedded software that operates low level systems as well as work to integrate more complex supplier sub-systems of the robot. This is a hands-on mechatronics role for someone passionate about building cool robots and holding ourselves to the highest standards of safety and rigor.
About the Team
The Firmware Applications team works at the intersection of the AI stack and the robot platform. Interns will be considered for roles on the Body and Power sub-teams. The Body team focuses on features like doors, thermal, lights, sounds, and other features that make the ground-up Zoox vehicle a cool robot. The Power team focuses on the essential and safety-critical high-voltage and low-voltage systems including complex multi-system features like charging, vehicle sleep, and power management. Both teams also work closely with operations teams to triage and resolve real-world issues affecting robots on test tracks and public roads.
- Develop software for embedded systems that run on Zoox’s ground-up robot
- Follow robust processes including design documentation and review as well as varying levels of testing
- Work with operations teams in support of the new features and assist with debugging issues reported by field teams
- Propose feature ideas to the team to improve processes
Technical Qualifications & Language Requirements
- Working towards a degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a similar discipline
- Object-oriented programming experience (C++ preferred)
- Experience with microcontrollers or embedded application processors
- Mechatronics experience: getting electrical or mechanical systems to be controlled by your software
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive attitude, team player and ability to quickly adapt to changes
- Git, CI, and build systems
- Communication protocols (e.g. CAN, LIN, pub/sub)
- Embedded RTOS experience or similar
The monthly salary range for this position is $6,500 to $9,500. Compensation will vary based on role, degree level and type, and benefits will be offered based on eligibility. Additional benefits may include medical insurance, 401k, and a housing stipend.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to email@example.com or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.