Senior Staff Systems Engineer - Sensors and Compute
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 1, 2024
Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities and deploy such a robotaxi solution safely. We are seeking a Senior Staff Systems Engineer who is an expert in safety analyses of complex electronic and software based systems, having multiple modalities and redundant paths within those modalities. You will support Zoox’s System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA) team to identify opportunities to improve, adapt, and generally refine our safety concept and residual risk assessments, to ensure the safe deployment of autonomous driving technology.
- Work with SDMA colleagues and cross-functional partner teams, to understand the intricacies of sensing and perception behavior and turn these into fault trees and other mathematical models for quantitative risk analysis, ensuring cases with low exposure but significant impacts are appropriately modeled and accounted
- Work with partner teams to develop safety and cost optimized, next-generation perception and compute architectures. Guide the selection of next-generation hardware
- Work with other SDMA engineers to ensure requirements are best captured and structured to account for runtime and latent failures in the sensing, perception and compute path
- Ensure the functional safety concept remains compatible with the core objectives of ISO 26262
- Lead cross-functional technical projects, including interactions with teams such as Software, Hardware, Operations, Data Science, V&V to ensure we have the appropriate data to support our arguments and solutions that can meet our requirements
- Become sufficiently knowledgeable in the system design to confidently defend the design when probed (by Zoox internal reviews, or external regulators)
- MS degree in a related technical field, such as Engineering
- Experience as a Architecture Engineer or Systems Engineer for complex or mission critical systems with high levels of fail-operational redundancy
- 7+ years of hands-on systems, safety, or related engineering experience with a focus on analysis of high integrity systems
- PhD in a related technical field
- Experience in the application of ISO 26262 and 21448 to L4/L5 autonomous vehicles
- Experience in systems with multiple layers of redundancies (including but not limited to SIL 4 / DAL A)
- Experience with simulation and modeling of physical hardware/software systems or data-driven modeling and analysis techniques
- A reliability modeling background including the analysis of field data
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $195,000 to $325,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.