Senior/Staff Lidar Engineer
Foster City, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 11, 2019
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of artificial intelligence, robotics, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
In this role, Zoox is looking for a candidate with a background in lidar technology to support hardware testing for autonomous vehicles. In this role, candidates are expected to:
- Review lidar performance requirements for “testability”
- Create (or use existing) software drivers, libraries and APIs to interface with hardware (e.g. gimbals, motion stages, measurement equipment, etc.) for the purposes of systems characterization and automation
- Write test plans for lidar systems, include procedures that are traceable to corresponding system requirements
- Document any anomalies or failures seen during testing
- Assist internal engineering teams with failure analysis, corrective action, and re-testing
- Provide input to internal engineering teams on improvements to testability and improving manufacturability
- Establish processes for incoming quality checks
- Drive suppliers to implement system improvements
- B.S. in Physics, EE, or Optics
- 3+ years experience working with lidar systems
- Strong understanding of lidar physics, as well as experience with common architectures and technologies in automotive lidar
- Experience with functional testing, reliability testing, and qualification of opto-mechanical or opto-electrical systems
- Strong technical documentation and communication skills
- Quantitative, data-driven mindsetUnix/Linux, C++, Python, Git/GitHub, MATLAB
- Zemax, Solidworks
- Confluence, JIRA
- Integration of sensors with vehicle platforms
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $180,000 to $296,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
See more open positions at Zoox
Something looks off?