Robotics Field Service Engineer
Who We Are:
At Formic, we’re on a mission to revolutionize American manufacturing and create more abundance in the world. We believe in continuing the American legacy of innovation by making automation accessible to all manufacturers and increasing their factory productivity by 10x.
Built upon deep expertise in robotics and manufacturing, our unique Pay-for-Productivity robotics solutions combine the best automation technology, tools, and uptime services for manufacturers, paving the way for a new era of supercharged efficiency and competitiveness.
As the world faces growing pressure from rising costs and labor shortages, Formic is a uniquely powerful tool in overcoming these challenges. Fueled by our vision for a resurged “Made in America,” we’re growing fast - achieving 70% quarterly growth in customer count and ARR, with ~30% of our customers having already deployed multiple systems.
Supporting us in our mission, with investments thus far totaling over $30 million, are backers including Lux Capital, Initialized Capital and CEOs and founders of multiple Fortune 50 companies.
As a Robotics Applications Engineer, you will:
- Work with customers and vendors to evaluate and manage the deployment of turnkey automation solutions.
- Demonstrate comfort working in a variety of manufacturing environments and working closely with customers
- Manage automation projects throughout their lifecycle
- Work with the sales team to evaluate robotic application feasibility
- Work with customers to gather information required to provide a final turnkey proposal including layout, cycle time, payload, product variation, etc.
- Work with vendors and communicate the necessary information to quote the system
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, within scope, and within budget
- Commission of machines to meet customer quality and cycle time requirements including testing and onsite startup
- Provide technical support to customers
- Work with the end-user throughout the life of the contract to ensure maximum machine performance and capacity
- Continually research the best technologies in robotics and automation
- Provide subject matter expertise to sales, applications, and support throughout the sales process
- Location and Travel Requirements - as Field Service Engineer you will be the "face" of Formic to our customers in the southwestern United States and providing service in accordance with our Service Level Agreements, so 50% travel is required for this position. Travel will generally be focused in the southwestern US, and we are seeking candidates who are currently located in - or willing to relocate to - this area.
What makes you a great fit:
- 3+ years of hands-on experience working with industrial and collaborative robot systems (FANUC, Universal Robots, Yaskawa, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience overseeing the deployment of robots for applications such as machine tending, welding, palletization, or material handling
- Willingness to get hands dirty and do real deployments
- Hunger to learn and grow in a fast-paced environment
- Expert oral and written communications
- Proficiency in using and interpreting technical drawings and CAD
- Knowledge of additional automation or general manufacturing equipment (conveyance, machine tools, welding supplies, electronics, safety equipment, etc.)
- Experience interfacing directly with customers
What we look for:
We’re building a company from the ground up, so every single person we hire has a massive impact on our team, culture, and ability to accomplish our mission. While each individual brings their own unique skills and perspectives to Formic, we look for people who share our vision and act in alignment with our Operating Principles. If this sounds like you, Formic could be the place for you:
- Fearless Optimism: You share our ambitious vision of what we can accomplish. You’re aware of the challenges we will face as a startup doing new things in an old space, but you’re energized by the incredible opportunity we have to drive change for our customers, and for the manufacturing industry at large.
- Factories First: You have a strong customer focus, no matter who your customer is. You seek to make things easier and better for our customers, even if it makes your job a little harder.
- Today, Not Tomorrow: There are always plenty of projects to tackle in a startup, but you prioritize, take accountability for work, and have a bias toward action.
- Be Right Often: You don’t do things just because that’s how they’ve always been done. You keep looking for ways to improve, seek out feedback along the way, and back your decisions up with data.
- Made of Rubber: Just like rubber, when you fall you bounce back up. You know there’s going to be a lot of challenge and change in our work ahead but you are adaptable, resilient, and ready to thrive through it all.
- Good Baton Passes: You work with a desire to make things easier and better for your team members. You use empathy to understand the needs and goals of others and support each other so Formic can be successful together.
Total rewards packages at Formic consist of salaries benchmarked against similar stage growth companies, insurance (medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD), and equity in Formic itself. As an early stage startup, equity is an important part of our investment in you, and your investment in Formic. When Formic succeeds, we all succeed.
Final offer amounts are custom-crafted, based on the cash/equity ratio preference of the candidate, as well as their experience, geographical location and cost of labor, and more, and may vary from the range listed below. Ultimately we’re seeking top performers who will make a difference to our business, and we’re open to negotiating the compensation structure for the right candidate.
The expected base pay range for this position is $70,000 - $125,000.
What We Offer:
Formic believes we do our best work when we are equipped to take care of ourselves and our loved ones. To support this Formic offers comprehensive benefits and perks for full-time US-based employees*, including:
- Equity in Formic: your slice of ownership in a fast-growing Series A startup, backed by some of the best investors in the world
- 99% coverage for Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance plans (75% coverage for dependents) via Blue Cross Blue Shield and Guardian
- FSA & DCFSA
- Life insurance, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability plans (covered at 100%) via Guardian
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid parental leave
- Company-sponsored 401k
- $2,000 Home Office allowance
- Monthly Phone & Internet Reimbursement
- Flexible time off policy and 10+ company holidays
- Bi-annual all-company retreats
*As our team grows, our benefit and perk offerings for employees based outside of the United States will vary. We are happy to discuss these options with you as part of our recruiting and interviewing experience.
Formic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.