Principal Software System Architect
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2023
Pivotal Commware develops 5G communications platforms, systems and applications based on Holographic Beam Forming® , a patented breakthrough in electromagnetic physics. HBF allows Pivotal to create software-defined antennas that can harness, shape and direct radio waves with order-of magnitude advantages over legacy beamforming systems in cost, size, weight and power consumption (C-SWaP). HBF enables mobile network operators to maximize capacity, coverage and throughput on demand and is recognized as an essential element in the 5G ecosystem. 5G leadership is pivotal to the US economy, and 5G is Pivotal™.
Pivotal’s 5G Communication platform consists of consumer and network embedded devices supported by the cloud based planning tool named WaveScape and an AI based management and optimization system called Intelligent Beam Management System (IBMS).
The Principal Software Systems Architect will be part of the System engineering team that is responsible for defining systems requirements, developing algorithms and architecture that bring together the smart repeater radio devices with the cloud-based management and planning applications to build key product offerings.
The candidate may work on multiple projects, towards different clients (internal and external) in a fast-paced environment. It includes working closely with the other parts of the business, such as the product management team, the new product introduction team, the field deployment RF engineers, and the RF R&D team.
- Collaborate with product management, embedded SW engineering, and cloud-based management team to define precise system requirements.
- Design algorithms and procedures for commissioning, operations, maintenance, and optimization of the system.
- Define communication protocols between device and cloud applications and develop adaptable system architecture to support required services and offerings.
- Write technical documents related to SRD, High level system design and algorithm flow/sequence charts.
- Implement POC/Prototypes for key algorithms/processes in collaboration with the development and automation team.
- Help define the test plans and test cases covering new features designed for embedded software and cloud-based application.
- Define figures of merit and acceptance criteria for embedded SW and cloud-based management services.
- Accountable for successful new product introduction, launch, and maintenance through the entire product lifecycle.
- Provide internal weekly reporting and support deep-dive presentations to executive management, field team and customers.
- As Pivotal’s systems operate between user devices and RAN base stations it is important for candidates to know the RAN to Device Air interface (RF/Radio/Wireless interface) and it would be an advantage to have an understanding of how RAN communicates with Core in general.
- Bachelor of engineering (BEng) or Bachelor of science (BSc) in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent at minimum (training in Data Science a plus).
- Ability to understand and translate product requirements into system requirements.
- Solid understanding of 4G/5G RAN call sequences and system operations.
- Ability and experience to develop complex algorithms to monitor and optimize the system performance using the right PM metrics and other available information.
- Experience developing complex system architecture preferably in RAN and Device IoT management area and creating high level design documents and artifacts for publishing to other teams.
- Proficient in using UML behavioral diagrams notifications for documenting complex software algorithms and processes.
- Background in programming and real time embedded systems.
- Knowledge and experience in coding with Python for POC/scripting purposes.
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously on multiple projects with challenging deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Capabilities in developing and maintaining excellent interpersonal relations within and outside the company.
- Working knowledge of the 3GPP standards (especially related to OAM, FCAPS and RAN protocols), O-RAN knowledge is a plus.
- RAN to Device Air interface knowledge required
- Experience with public cloud (preferably Azure) software development, IoT framework and serverless implementations.
- Background in programming with current ability for developing quick prototypes using Python or other frameworks.
- Strong leadership skills to be able to influence others and drive consensus of conflicting priorities.
Targeted starting salary range: $150,000 - $200,000/yr
Annual bonus eligibility - up to 15% of base salary
Individual Stock Options - Board approved
Complete list of benefits - Click here
Pivotal is expanding its team and looks for talent at all levels. If the parameters of this particular job are not an exact match for your skills and experience, we still encourage you to apply to our "Don't see an exact fit to your profile" job posting at the bottom of our careers page. Our Recruiting team will evaluate your background appropriately for new, upcoming or alternative roles and reach out if there is interest on our part for discussion.
Pivotal was named among Washington’s Top 100 Places to Work in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022.
At Pivotal you will join a team experienced in advanced communications, RAN system development and deployment, commercial antenna’s, RF design, cloud-based management software and machine learning. If you want to apply yourself to this fascinating endeavor, then we would love to hear from you!
Pivotal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce.