Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Bothell, WA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 8, 2023
Pivotal Commware develops 5G communications platforms, systems and applications based on Holographic Beam Forming® , a patented breakthrough in electromagnetic physics. HBF allows Pivotal to create software-defined antennas that can harness, shape and direct radio waves with order-of magnitude advantages over legacy beamforming systems in cost, size, weight and power consumption (C-SWaP). HBF enables mobile network operators to maximize capacity, coverage and throughput on demand and is recognized as an essential element in the 5G ecosystem. 5G leadership is pivotal to the US economy, and 5G is Pivotal™.
Pivotal Commware is seeking a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to work within fast-paced projects alongside scientists, engineers, and business leaders. Pivotal is a start-up environment and hence candidates will be responsible for the design, analysis, and implementation of software on embedded hardware platforms. The work can include lower layer Linux BSP drivers, higher layer network protocol or application Linux software, or MCU firmware.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to think creatively and to operate within a flexible, fast-paced program dedicated to advancing the state-of-the-art Holographic Beamforming Antenna systems. Candidates will have the ability to work with systems, hardware, test, RF, and product engineering teams. Successful candidates would report to a Software Development Manager.
- Developing/modifying Linux BSP: this can include bootloaders, device drivers, kernel, and device tree support
- Performing initial hardware bring-up and system integration
- Maintaining/updating the embedded Linux Yocto distribution
- Maintaining a continuous integration environment, including packaging and deployment of software releases
- Working in an environment in which proper software version control practices are required
- Design / develop application layer software that may operate across a distributed network of platforms.
- Design / develop micro controller software that controls / monitors RF hardware.
- Participate and contribute to software architecture for a variety of hardware components.
- Implement prototype software on prototype hardware with production intent
- Interact with internal and external customers as needed
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Sciences
- Strong proficiency with C/C++ and scripting languages
- Firm understanding of Linux OS
- Excellent communication skills and can coordinate with a cross-disciplinary team throughout all phases of development
- Experience with software development targeted for embedded hardware systems
- 5+ years of experience seeing a product from early design all the way through being shipped and supported to a customer
- Knowledge of Linux kernel internals (scheduling, memory management, IPC, file systems, etc.)
- Knowledge of RF concepts and principles.
- Knowledgeable regarding networking and associated network protocols
- Experienced with low latency and high data throughput architectures
- Experience in developing, modifying, and debugging device drivers, bootloaders, or board support packages (BSP)
- Understanding schematics, experience with logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers
- Experience with ARM based processors, GNU toolchains
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Security experience: authentication/encryption, hardware accelerators, security fundamentals
- Embedded RTOS experience
Targeted starting salary range: $140,000 - $170,000/yr, DOE
Annual bonus eligibility - up to 15% of base salary
Individual Stock Options - Board approved
Complete list of benefits - Click here
Pivotal was named among Washington’s Top 100 Places to Work in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022.
At Pivotal you will join a team experienced in advanced communications, RAN system development and deployment, commercial antenna’s, RF design, cloud-based management software and machine learning. If you want to apply yourself to this fascinating endeavor, then we would love to hear from you!
Pivotal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce.