Mechanical Engineer - All Levels
Bothell, WA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Pivotal Commware develops 5G communications platforms, systems and applications based on Holographic Beam Forming® , a patented breakthrough in electromagnetic physics. HBF allows Pivotal to create software-defined antennas that can harness, shape and direct radio waves with order-of magnitude advantages over legacy beamforming systems in cost, size, weight and power consumption (C-SWaP). HBF enables mobile network operators to maximize capacity, coverage and throughput on demand and is recognized as an essential element in the 5G ecosystem. 5G leadership is pivotal to the US economy, and 5G is Pivotal™.
Pivotal Commware is seeking an experienced hands-on Mechanical Engineer to develop RF/microwave hardware. This position will support and lead fast-paced projects while working closely with a small group of scientists, engineers and business leaders in a start-up environment. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to think creatively and operate within a flexible, fast-paced program dedicated to advancing Pivotal’s Holographic Beamforming product suite. This position is focused on product development and manufacturing support. This position is on-site full time for the first few months, and then hybrid thereafter (minimum 3 days in the office per week).
- Create concept/prototype mmWave product designs
- Collaborate with internal and external partners for both quick turn parts (metal and plastic designs) as well as production tooling
- Perform appropriate engineering level testing of new concept designs
- Create all design documentation for new designs
- Release design documents into ARENA (PLM) system
- BOM Creation and management in ARENA (PLM) system
- Collaborate with Cross Functional Team to devise new approaches and solutions to solve problems
- Meet internal milestones/deadline to support entire project success.
- BS in mechanical engineering
- 2-5 years of mechanical engineering experience in electronic mechanical packaging
- Demonstrated 3D CAD/PDM experience – Solidworks highly preferred, Creo/Pro-Engineer acceptable
- Design experience with both prototype and production CNC machined parts
- Ability to multi-task, work quickly, and communicate effectively with both internal team members and cross-functionally with Electrical, RF, and manufacturing engineers while keeping a high quality of work
- Experience creating complete design/documentation packages for production
- Demonstrated ability to work on designs from prototypes to production release
- Ability to prototype designs quickly to evaluate new concepts and reduce risk
- Solid understanding of mechanical engineering principles
- Ability to communicate easily in both written and oral English.
- MS in Mechanical Engineering
- Design experience with plastic injection molding
- Design experience with progressive die stamped and brake formed metal parts
- Design experience with metal die casting and custom extruded parts
- Experience with rapid prototyping technologies (FDM, Polyjet, Cast Urethane)
- Experience with RF shielding (mmWave preferable) design of Electro-Mechanical packaging designs
- mmWave RF antenna/wireless product development and/or regulatory experience
- Thermal analysis/simulation experience
- FEA stress simulation experience
- Experience with running small mechanical projects, including organizing design reviews and leading technical discussions
- Working knowledge of GD&T per ASME Y14.5, DFM and DFA
- Experience performing tolerance analysis
- Design for environmental and standards testing such as IP65-IP68 and GRM-3108
- Knowledge of PLM systems (Arena preferred)
Pivotal was named among Washington’s Top 100 Places to Work in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022.
At Pivotal you will join a team experienced in advanced communications, RAN system development and deployment, commercial antenna’s, RF design, cloud-based management software and machine learning. If you want to apply yourself to this fascinating endeavor, then we would love to hear from you!
Pivotal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce.